Currently Looking For:
If you don’t see your preferred role here, send us your résumé or portfolio anyway! DEKA is always looking for new creative energy.
Wood and Metal Fabricator
DEKA Fabrication is the fabrication arm of the architectural design firm ICOSA Design located in the Jingletown neighborhood of East Oakland. We have an opening for a full-time metal fabricator/woodworker. We specialize in traditional wood/metal work as well as digital fabrication for the creation of anything from custom furniture to building components to pavilion-scale structures.
This is not your traditional work environment. Each person at DEKA Fabrication is given a tremendous amount of autonomy and ability to control however they see fit to get to the goals set out for them. We strive to create a family of independent characters all working together – strong communication skills is a must. We are also a workplace that highly values diversity of all kinds.
• Creative problem solving
• Metal/Wood Working (see below)
• Valid driver’s license
• Lifting heavy items +100lbs.
• Loading truck and strapping loads
• Shop setup/cleanup
• Interest in Digital Fabrication (or ability to quickly learn)
• Basic computer proficiency
• MIG: We use Miller machines, Mild Steel, Stainless Steel, Aluminum, Tube Frames (3/4″ – 2″), Plate (1/16″ – 1/4″)
• TIG: TIG-experience preferred but not required.
• Drill press, cold-cut saw, horizontal band-saw (tolerances @ 1/32″ – 1/16″)
• Angle grinder, furniture-grade welds and finish
• Torsion box assembly and modification. Design solutions, etc
• Simple mill-work and cabinetry
• Sanding and finishing
• Creative fabrication solutions and hardware
Misc Skills (preferred but not required):
• Small-batch Concrete Casting
• Metal Patina and finishing
• CNC Router experience
• Material storage and working area organization
• Cut metal stock per printed cut sheets
• Accurately lay out and tack weld projects
• Pick up stock materials and hardware from suppliers
• Assist in project builds and onsite installations
Must be available Monday-Friday 10am – 6pm.
This is not your traditional work environment. Each person at DEKA Fabrication is given a tremendous amount of autonomy and ability to control however they see fit to get to the goals set out for them. We strive to create a family of strong independent characters all working together for the higher level goal of empowering our clients. As our fabrication shop grows, we need someone who can act as a tough but empathetic leader and coach.
DEKA Fabrication is the new fabrication arm of the architectural design firm ICOSA Design located in the Jingletown neighborhood of East Oakland. We specialize in traditional wood/metal work as well as digital fabrication through the use of CNC routers and plasma cutters for the creation of anything from furniture to building components to pavilion-scale structures. We care deeply about our culture and it should be noted that we hire for attitude, disposition, and culture-fit just as much as we do for skill and experience.
• Work closely with Project Managers and Designers to lead fabrication team tasks
• Planning and implementation of proper workshop habits and organization
• Clearly communicate project timeline progress with critical milestones identified
• Develop strong fabricator culture of positivity and effectively tackling challenges
• Must be familiar with leading teams in fabrication/installation
• Must have strong spatial intelligence and problem solving skills
• Basic computer proficiency
• A drive that is internal, constant, and self-imposed
• Need for expertise and mastery
• Ability to set goals and use them every day to guide actions
• Need to mentally rehearse and review
• Ability to break existing configurations in favor of more effective/appealing ones
• Awareness of and attentiveness to individual differences
• Ability to create enthusiasm and take charge
• Ability to use emotional determination to overcome challenges and solve critical issues
• Collaborate with Project Manager on developing/updating a critical path Gantt Chart
• Establish organizational standards for a clean and effective workspace
• Allocate fabrications tasks to manage workload and ensure it supports the critical path
• Ensure safety and professional best practices are upheld
• Rally the fabrication team and orchestrate installations