Join our multidisciplinary team reaching across such fields as architecture, computer science, and traditional fabrication.
Project-Based Wood and Metal Fabricator
Project- Based Wood and Metal Fabricator
DEKA is a Fabrication & Design firm located in the Jingletown neighborhood of East Oakland. We have openings for project-based metal fabricators & woodworkers. We specialize in traditional wood/metal work as well as digital fabrication for the creation of anything from custom furniture to building components to pavilion-scale structures.
We strive to create a family of independent characters all working together – strong communication skills is a must. We are also a workplace that highly values diversity of all kinds.
This opening is for Project-Based work only. Meaning it is a temporary position for which you will be hired to work on specific projects as needed. When we have a project that fits, you will be notified of the projects details and duration.
• Creative problem solving
• Metal Fabrication and/or Wood Working skills (see below)
• Valid driver’s license
• Lifting heavy items +80lbs.
• Loading truck and strapping loads
• Shop setup/cleanup
• Maintenance and organization
• Basic computer proficiency
• MIG: We use Miller machines, Mild Steel, Stainless Steel, Aluminum, Tube Frames (3/4″ – 2″), Plate (1/16″ – 1/4″)
• TIG: TIG-experience preferred but not required.
• Drill press, cold-cut saw, horizontal band-saw (tolerances @ 1/32″ – 1/16″)
• Angle grinder, furniture-grade welds and finish
• Torsion box assembly and modification. Design solutions, etc
• Simple mill-work and cabinetry
• Sanding and finishing
• Creative fabrication solutions and hardware
Misc Skills (preferred but not required):
• Small-batch Concrete Casting
• Metal Patina and finishing
• CNC Router experience
• Cut metal stock per printed cut sheets
• Accurately lay out and tack weld projects
• Pick up stock materials and hardware from suppliers
• Assist in project builds and onsite installations
I want to work at DEKA, but don’t see my job
Don’t see a position that fits, but you think you’re something special? Submit your résumé and portfolio, and we will take a look and get back to you if we’re interested!